Sunday 25 May 2008

I looked at the weather forecast for sunday, and it was horrendous - heavy rain, strong N/E wind and 15C . I woke up to find it raining, as predicted, but it soon dried up, the sun came out and it was a pleasant 20C !
As yesterday morning, very little was singing, all the birds are getting down to the serious business of rearing young. WHITETHROAT, WILLOW WARBLER, CHIFFCHAFF and CUCKOO did give some song though, the latter was very active, there were two males and a female on my patch. A pair of BLACKCAPS were seen, around their probable nest site, and breeding was confirmed for GOLDCREST, I watched an adult feeding a recently fledged youngster. GREAT TIT fledglings were also seen.
Early on in the rain two LESSER BLACK BACK GULLS and six HERRING GULLS were resting in one of the paddocks at migrant alley, where two, then four CORMORANT flew over. As the morning warmed up, a SPARROWHAWK and KESTREL were seen hunting over the area, but bird of the day was a HOBBY, seen as I was sitting down to dinner, ( outside on the patio, as it was such a nice day!) It circled low over my garden for a minute or two, I kept thinking get the camara, but I knew if I got up it wouldn't be there when I came back!
Also noted in the garden was a COAL TIT the first to come to the feeders since the 11th March, and the first fledgling GREENFINCH came to try the sunflower hearts.



First Fledgling Greenfinch (not a very good shot!)
Sparrowhawk over

One of the Cuckoo's that were very active this am


5 comments:

Josh Jenkins Shaw said...

Sounds like another great day! I saw a Cuckoo today at Tudeley wood RSPB.
josh

Steve said...

Glad to hear you got a Hobby...is that your first one for the patch this year?

John Young said...

Hobby while sitting down for dinner now there is one cool character!!!! Nice one Warren.

Warren Baker said...

Hello guys,
Steve, my first hobby was on the 5th may. C'mon keep up! :-)

Simon said...

Great to hear about the Hobby welldone.