Monday 26 May 2008

Its not that often that the weather stops my morning visits to my patch, but today was one such occasion! Heavy rain and gale force winds meant little could be expected.
The conditions did improve very slightly around 10.00am, and as I was itching to get out I decided to go over to the fields at Migrant Alley. The N wind was blowing squalls across the paddocks and maize field, and dark clouds scudded across the sky, it was difficult to keep my feet, and I could barely hear anything through the roar of the wind in my ears, but I did manage to hear a plucky COMMON WHITETHROAT doing its best, also a CHIFFCHAFF and SKYLARK were fighting the elements. I noticed a few LESSER BLACK BACK and HERRING GULLS going over, and thought maybe a Tern would be blown through, but something better came through, a small wader, but frustratingly it was across the other side of the field and flying away and high , blast it! This would almost certainly been a patch tick, it looked as though it may of been a small plover or sandpiper. A small number of SWIFTS passed over and a couple of SWALLOWS hunted for any insects that may of been out, along with a single HOUSE MARTIN. All in all a disappointing bank holiday!!!

3 comments:

Josh Jenkins Shaw said...

Well done on getting out despite the rain! I just went for a walk around the Pembury patch but all that was about were a few Blackcap and a singing Cuckoo.
Josh

Steve said...

Fantastic to hear you got out today Warren! weather was so awful i ended up at Bluewater....a fate worse than death! Frustrating to hear you didn't nail the wader....i wonder what it was??

John Young said...

At least you managed to get out Warren. Stuck inside all day, just didn't let up raining at all.