Tuesday 6 May 2008

It was so warm this morning i didn't need a coat, the walk to work was very enjoyable. As I left I could hear a LESSER WHITETHROAT in Ashes Lane, but little else was noted. On the way home the first COMMON WHITETHROAT I found earlier in the year, had paired up, and the Lesser Whitethroat was still rattling away as I passed it again.
At 2pm I walked over to the lake area, where I saw the MUTE SWANS and a GREY LAG GOOSE, looking a bit lost - as they had obviously not bred this year, unlike the CANADA GOOSE which had a single gosling with it. I also saw a large Grass Snake, but it was off and away before I could photograph it!
I spent 45mins in the tree nursery, mainly skywatching. A few SWIFTS, SWALLOWS and a HERRING GULL were the only birds seen, but I also watched a Common Whitethroat singing. I hope his nest site isn't going to be in one of the trees that are marked for removal!
An hours skywatching at Migrant Alley produced little, just 3 LESSER BLACK BACKED GULLS, one Herring Gull, the usual Swifts, Swallows and HOUSE MARTINS and a pair of SKYLARKS.
A quick walk over to the college grounds to see if any Spotted Flycatchers had arrived was negative, however I did get to see a Frog in one of the small ponds.

LATE NEWS

** This afternoon a RED KITE (85) was reported flying over my house, by my birding/ringing mate, typical while I was watching the sky over migrant alley!! As he has over 50 years birding experience I am prepared to accept this on my patch list!


First evidence of breeding for Canada Goose on my patch this year
Mute Swans and Grey lag goose, sunning it up!

Common Frog at Hadlow College.


5 comments:

Steve said...

I like the frog Warren!! Not something I have ever been able to photograph!

Warren Baker said...

I needed something to photograph Steve! I was running out of ideas!

Simon said...

With a Red Kite being seen by you, and 3 Cranes being seen by Steve, it makes me wonder what I may have missed in Mote Park whilst I was birding in France today.

Travis said...

Great shots, but I really love the frog the most. Very good work.

Adam said...

I've got a crick in my neck from looking up at the sky after the Cranes and red Kites reported....makes you wonder what I missing on the ground!!! It sounds like the Cranes may have also passed over your patch based on the comment from Dave on Steve's blog - 3 Cranes not far from Hartlake Bridge. Keep looking up!!! Ad