Friday 16 May 2008

It was cool this morning, and in the NE wind it even felt quite chilly. 7 MUTE SWANS flew over migrant alley, and both TURTLE DOVE and LESSER WHITETHROAT sang from the headland there. The SPOTTED FLYCATCHER was heard in the college grounds, and a male GREY WAGTAIL was seen preening on the stream, behind the college.
Coming from work the Lesser Whitethroat and Turtle doves were heard again, while a group of 8 LINNETS fed in one of the paddocks, they were feeding on dandelion seed heads.
Once I had eaten, I went out for a couple of hours mainly to the lake area, where more purring from Turtle Doves was heard, as well as song from BLACKCAP, COMMON WHITETHROAT, CUCKOO, CHIFFCHAFF and the patch WILLOW WARBLER singing louder than ever, I wonder if he's got a mate yet. On the lake, 5 GREY LAG GEESE and 3 CANADA GEESE as well as 2 MALLARD and a few MOORHEN were seen. I walked over to migrant alley and spent 20mins watching SWALLOWS catching insects around a hedgerow, the usual SPARROWHAWK came over and sent them all into their panic calls - aways sounds like ''attack'' attack'' to me! A Kestrel also hovered nearby, but the Swallows didn't mind this too much.

Kestrel
The Swallows don't mind Kestrels - too much

Chiffchaff on an aerial, strange place to find one


The Cuckoo was calling well for most of the time I was there



2 comments:

Travis said...

Those first few shots are great. I really like shots of birds in the air. You have a great site going here. I will try to make it here more often.

Warren Baker said...

Thanks Travis,
I often visit your sight, with its wise words.