Saturday 31 May 2008

The early part of this morning was spent carrying out my BTO Breeding Bird Survey, on the km square, south of my patch, so I only made a brief mid morning visit to migrant alley. Whilst sitting and watching, I noticed a colony of honey bees in the hedge, fascinating to watch. Birdwise just a CORMORANT, and a HERRING GULL flew over, the KESTREL was about, and around 60m behind me a LITTLE OWL was perched on a fence post.
This afternoon was spent doing a spot of wildlife gardening, and cleaning the feeders, but I still managed to see 14 species visit the now gleaming feeders, with another 13 species in and around the vacinity. Two BULLFINCH'S are continuing to visit the neighbours garden for Forget-me-Not seeds, just as i had taken all mine out - Doh!
The end of another month, and looking back I recorded a total of 68 species for May, a new May record, beating the 66 seen last may. Four species were new for this month, Little Egret, Common Buzzard, Peregrine Falcon and Yellow Wagtail. The Total for all Mays combined is now 84, so there is still opportunity to beat 68.
Parent STARLINGS at the crushed peanuts
The first Fledgling GREAT TITS were seen in the garden today (front bird)


Here's the swarm of honey bees in hedge - No I couldn't get a closer shot!

4 comments:

Josh Jenkins Shaw said...

Your lucky with the Little Owl, I've never seen one but I think I heard one a few nights ago! Great photos!
Josh

John Young said...

Never seen a swarm of bees in the wild, great encounter. John

Steve said...

Nice post Warren...some good pictures too!

Mike said...

Nice shot of the fledglings Warren, no sign of mine yet, but I'm waiting with camera in hand for when they do.