Saturday 3 May 2008

At last a proper spring day, a bit misty at first, but that soon went and it became sunny and warm. I Left early this morning, (05:20) so I could beat all the dog walkers, and noisy lawnmowers, and it paid off. I heard and saw 25 species during the first 200 meters of my walk. Great Spotted Woodpeckers were heard drumming again - not heard recently, and ROBINS were everywhere (31 counted) I couldn't locate any Turtle doves and although I spent 40mins from 06:00hrs listening at the lakeside scrub, I didn't find any Nightingales, seems this year may be the first without them. At Migrant alley the first SWIFT (82) of the year flew over, followed by 4 more, now I know summers here! More excitement for me as I walked through the College grounds, a group of GARDEN WARBLERS (83) another year tick, were found, there were at least 3 and possibly five all close up in the same set of bushes. Five hours out walking was a real pleasure today, shame I had to come back! I think the 50 species recorded would easily have reached a new day total, had I had given it another hour!

This Garden Warbler looked a little different from the others, a longer, paler beak and flatter head.
I was going to get a shot of the songthrush (behind the rabbit) then the Rabbit ran out in front of it!

I saw this big Fox early on, shame the photo is a bit blurred.


3 comments:

Steve said...

well done with the Garden Warblers Warren. I had my first ones today too.

Simon said...

Welldone with the Garden Warbler. Yet to have one in the Park yet this year. Tha dog Fox looks in good condition.

Warren Baker said...

Thanks guys.
Th G W, must have just arrived, there were a group of them all feeding and chasing around.