Wednesday 28 May 2008

Another downpour last night left everything hanging with water, but it wasn't raining when I left at 06:50 this morning. I put on my boots, that were still wet from yesterday, and set off round my patch. It was a bit of a change from tuesday, I didn't hear Turtle Dove, Lesser Whitethroat, or Garden Warbler, and there wasn't much song from the CHIFFCHAFFS or COMMON WHITETHROAT or the BLACKCAPS. Whilst walking across the golfcourse I confirmed breeding for PIED WAGTAIL when a parent bird was seen feeding a recently fledged youngster. I walked on to the lake area, via Cuckoo lane - which had a torrent of water flowing down it! The WILLOW WARBLER was just about the only noteworthy record there, along with a CUCKOO. The wet woods was alive with mosquitoes, and every bit of bare flesh was being bitten, bringing out large itchy lumps, I didn't record anything there!
At migrant alley, HERRING and BLACK HEADED GULLS flew over, and the SPARROWHAWK was active as well as a KESTREL. Only the other Willow Warbler was of interest at the college grounds, and despite a good look for the Spotted Flycatcher it could not be located, its been a while since i've seen them now.
The wind and rain set in at 10.30, so I conceded defeat, my boots, socks and jeans were soaked, and a cup of tea seemed in order. A total of 47 species was a respectable effort.

I spent a good part of the afternoon recording garden visitors for the BTO Garden Birdwatch Scheme. This pair of BULLFINCH'S would of been a nice garden tick for the year, but they stayed in the large garden next door.
This moth was one of a couple of hundred massing under an oak tree, just look at the antennae on it! I looked in my little gem moth book, and I identified it as a 'Nemophora Degeerella' Has it got an English name Tony ?

Another deluge last night, this was Cuckoo lane at 07:30.


4 comments:

Josh Jenkins Shaw said...

Hello, Some great birds there despite the weather. The moth is a Longhorn Moth ( you were right with the latin name!) It is a male because of the long antennae. Great spot!
Josh

Steve said...

Agreed...cool looking moth....when will this rain stop?

Warren Baker said...

Cheers Josh.
It was quite something watching them all swarming.

Steve,
I hope it stops raining pretty soon, i'm running out of weatherproof gear!

John Young said...

Hi Warren, Nice set of photos and posts. Great looking moth. Was hoping to set my trap tonight but just too wet....