Monday 13 June 2016

After abandoning my patch visit yesterday due to the rainy dull weather, this morning was little better, but at least the rain was sporadic and showery.

I got round for a rather uninspiring full patch walk, where I found 45 bird species, but quite few regular resident species were not seen, like Treecreeper, Coal tit, Long Tailed tit, Pheasant, Buzzard and Sparrowhawk, although the latter was seen at my garden feeders later this afternoon. Even the humble GREAT TIT was difficult to locate, and was the last species added to the day list!

Surprisingly, more was seen of the Summer birds than on recent visits, with SWIFT, SWALLOW and HOUSE MARTIN all seen feeding over the sheep pasture at Migrant Alley, plus the regular WHITETHROAT, CHIFFCHAFF and BLACKCAP were all found, a LESSER WHITETHROAT singing from the bankside vegetation of the main lake was a bit of a surprise, the first seen there all year. Little was on the lakes themselves, although a GREY HERON was visiting.

The KESTRELS were observed at the Greenhouse Grounds as they brought in food for their nestlings, the only flyovers of note today were from LESSER BLACK BACKED and HERRING GULLS.

A poor visit really, with no more new species added to the months list, or any different species added to the Successfully bred patch list.

No chance of any photo's either!


4 comments:

Derek Faulkner said...

A pretty depressing week's weather coming up by the look of it and even when it's not raining the vegetation soaks you.

Warren Baker said...

I'm certainly getting depressed Derek, had enough of it!!!!

Pete Woodruff said...

I'll join the 'depressed club' Warren, rain pretty much all day today up here, and the forecast I just looked at has me reaching for my tablets. I reckon no pics from you on here just about says it all....Oh dear!!

Warren Baker said...

Pete,
Another wash out Summer, think i'll get a job and come out of retirement!!