Friday 17 June 2016

It was brighter first thing this morning, but clouds soon built up and rain showers soon arrived.

Only an hour was spent out on my patch today, as most of the day was spent getting ready for my trip to Wales next week. The hour or so I was out was mostly spent watching the comings and goings of the KESTRELS over at the Greenhouse Grounds as they brought in food for their nestlings. I heard BLACKCAP and CHIFFCHAFF singing from the nearby greenhouse copse, plus the COMMON WHITETHROATS were giving an agitated alarm call, indicating young were about, but I couldn't find any! The local SWALLOWS have at least 3 broods out now, 7 young birds were lined up on a fence line at Migrant Alley.

I checked up on a few other nest sites I know of that are in the Greenhouse grounds, but they are still holding young, so no new successfully bred species were added to the years list, that had to wait until I got home, when both GOLDFINCH, and at last, BLACKBIRD fledglings were both seen in my garden  :-) The ''Successfully Bred'' patch list now reaches 29.

My next Pittswood post will be on Sunday the 26th June, however, I may get to do a couple of blog posts from Wales, depending on the internet connection and computer availability!


Not the most flattering image of the young Blackbird!



3 comments:

Derek Faulkner said...

Ah, we can expect some good weather and a few rarities here next week then.

Warren Baker said...

Yes derek,
The weather should pick up for Se England now :-)

Pete Woodruff said...

We've been waiting to see young Blackbirds in our garden like this, we have had up to four pairs visiting for food to carry off for weeks now, but no sign of them bringing their young to see us.

Enjoy Wales Warren, hope you see some 'good stuff' there.