Monday 6 June 2016

More warm sunshine and blue skies for today, about time the weather settled down!

An early walk around the sheep pasture and Migrant Alley gave me a couple of new species for the month, both Gulls, the first was BLACK HEADED GULL (53) - 2 flew over calling, a bit of a rare bird here in June, rarer still was the MEDITERRANEAN GULL (54) which I heard calling as it flew high over, but failed to pick it out from the blue sky. A LESSER WHITETHROAT was observed collecting food at the adjacent the Greenhouse Grounds and taking it back to a presumed nest site, great to have this species confirmed as breeding here, not successfully yet though! The KESTRELS were both at the nest box, the young should hopefully fledge in the next couple of weeks or so.

I spent most of todays visit in the Scrubby Woods, looking for recently fledged birds and Odonata species, but on the way checked up on the MUTE SWANS at the ornamental lake, which I watched preening and washing, but there was no sign of the Cygnet, looks like it died unfortunately.

NUTHATCH and TREECREEPER young were seen as they called noisily in the Oak trees, two more for the 'Successfully bred' list, plus a bonus species for June was heard as it flew high over - a CUCKOO (55) even when they were common here they seldom called in June! My Odonata hunt went well also, with my first Broad Bodied Chaser and Black tailed Skimmer being found and photographed. I also saw plenty of Beautiful Demoiselles and White-legged Damselflies, as well as the star attraction of the Downy Emerald, which as usual kept well out of cameras range!


Broad Bodied Chaser


Broad Bodied Chaser


Broad Bodied Chaser


Black Tailed Skimmer


Black Tailed Skimmer

1 comment:

Marc Heath said...

Now I can't visit my Reculver site, I will have to work a little harder to see a Black tailed Skimmer. Very nice shots Warren today of the Skimmer.