Thursday 30 June 2016

Early rain this morning gave way to overcast, grey skies with the odd shower.

Not for the first time this month I gave up my attempt at a patch visit this morning, I was getting just as wet from the vegetation and long grass as I was from the rain!

I checked up on the KESTREL family at the Greenhouse Grounds, they had all left the box and were hiding in various places around the buildings, nothing else was of much note in my short visit, just a BUZZARD that drifted over towards the (very) Wet Woods.

This afternoon I noted a troop of LONG TAILED TITS breeze through my garden, the 22nd species to visit this month, this is the second highest June garden bird species count in fifteen years - a telling indication of the poor weather, birds are requiring supplementary feeding!

As for my patch monthly list, that ended on 64, which is the mean average tally for the 15 years, but one short of the mean tally for the previous 5 years. Missing species that have been regulars in previous years were the Spotted Flycatcher and the Yellowhammer.

Lets hope the weather turns a bit more settled for July, this is the quietest month on my patch for birds, so I rely on the Butterflies and Dragonflies to occupy my time, I dont need a heatwave, just a spell of settled, calm weather!!

Back to the images from Wales for todays ''blog Brighteners''  Having accidentally deleted all my Red Kite photo's from last years Wales visit, I had to go back to the Gigrin Farm feeding center to get some more, I got a few I was reasonably happy with, but to tell the truth, there were so many kites in the air at one time it was difficult to get on to any one individual, I was like a kid in a sweet shop !!





Kites everywhere! Two fingers up to the shooting estates  ;-)


1 comment:

Derek Faulkner said...

Be more impressed if they were Hen Harriers.