Monday 5 May 2008

Another glorious morning, tee shirt and shorts weather! However I didn't visit my patch until mid-morning as I was doing my Bird Atlas Survey to the NW of my patch.On the way back I was alerted by a birder friend, out on his patch to the north, that there was a PEREGRINE circling over my patch, the same one as seen in April no doubt, I was soon onto it, a nice may record.
Just a couple of hours was spent around migrant alley and the college grounds, where the first spotted flycatcher usually appears, they should be in this week. I watched a group of HOUSE MARTINS collecting mud, at a rapidly drying out puddle, but there should be enough for them! The GARDEN WARBLER was again singing loudly, and the maize field at migrant alley was visited by HERRING and LESSER BLACK BACK GULLS, but everything was getting very quiet now that the temperature was getting higher.

Once home I sat out in the garden taking some photo's and scanning the sky, and yes! My first HOBBY (84) of the year circled over slowly, what a special little falcon this is! Also noted a GOLDCREST in the Garden too.

Large Red Damsel fly at one of my mini-ponds
House Martin at the mud hole

Skylark at migrant alley


2 comments:

Steve said...

Some really great records today Warren and nice pics - especially like the Large Red Damsel....not had any Odonata yet this year....should be Hairy Dragons out now

Simon said...

Great news about the Hobby Warren. Nice LRDamselfly pic too!