Friday 30 May 2008

This photo of a Little Owl was taken at 19:30 this evening. It alighted just at the end of the garden, and gave me this one shot, beore flying off, with all the local passerines chasing it! I suppose technically I could count it as a Garden tick, as the branches of the tree overhang my garden !!
Earlier....................
At last a dry day! I got out this afternoon after work, and sat down in the tree nursery, where work has finished until the autumn. I spent a couple of hours watching the sky and listening to the birds in the habitat around me. In the sky a few heart stopping moments were caused only by a GREY HERON, a few LESSER BLACK BACKED and HERRING GULLS. The KESTREL was up and about again, I watched it catch a small vole, too far away to photograph though. A pair of TURTLE DOVES flew low over, and SWIFTS, SWALLOWS and HOUSE MARTINS all hunted for insects overhead. WHITETHROAT, BLACKCAP, CUCKOO, LINNET, YELLOWHAMMER, JAY as well as the usual BLACKBIRDS, SONGTHRUSH and various finch's were all heard singing. There were gangs of newly fledged STARLINGS winging around, at times joining up to form a large group of around 60 birds. A pleasant afternoon........at last!

I watched this newly fledged GREAT SPOTTEDWOODPECKER on a telegraph pole, waiting to be fed.

It didn't have to wait long!


Whilst at home a bit later on, I found this female Common Newt, as I picked out some blanket weed.



This is one of the Iris's in my pond, what a cheering sight.




6 comments:

Simon said...

Some nice photos Warren. I have never seen a young Woodpecker before in the wild, only in photos.

Warren Baker said...

Simon, look for the red crown, otherwise they are almost identical to the adult!

Steve said...

Hi Warren - I was comparing my f Banded Dem shot with your f Beautiful Dem shot. I think you are spot on with your ID of your Beautiful D. The wingcolouration more than anything (Greenish on Banded and bronzy on the Beautiful clinches it!) Waiting for a Beautiful to turn up here now!

Gazzza said...

I find it hard to believe that this is the same Warren Baker who I worked with or should it be shirked with all those years ago

Gazzzzza

Warren Baker said...

Gazzzzaaaaaaa,
We all have to get older (and wiser) in the end ;-)

John Young said...

Hi Warren, I'd go ahead and tick the little owl for your garden list, no one will know the truth.