Tuesday 20 May 2008

Both the LESSER WHITETHROAT and CUCKOO called early this morning, and as I passed through the college grounds I noted the SONGTHRUSH and BLACKBIRD were on the lawns feeding newly fledged young, I stayed and watched for a few minutes, but work was beckoning.
On the way home I saw 43 LINNETS in a feeding flock, in one of the paddocks, quite surprising as I thought they would have dispersed to breed.
The rest of the afternoon was spent around the lake area and migrant alley. On my way to the lake area I came across a Vixen and here two cubs, she darted off into the field, being mobbed by a CARRION CROW as she did so, and her two cubs continued ''playing'' for a few seconds, not realising I was there. I got a few photo's, but it was very dim, and only one reasonable pic came out of it.
At the lakeside scrub a TURTLE DOVE purred, and a GARDEN WARBLER sang, along with BLACKCAPS, CHIFFCHAFFS and WHITETHROATS but no surprises today.
A walk over to migrant alley for some skywatching was disappointing, a few SWIFTS, GREY HERON, SPARROWHAWK and KESTREL were seen and SWALLOWS fed low over the recently cut pasture. A Lesser Whitethroat sang for most of the time I was there, from the Headland to the north of Migrant alley.


This patch of Red Campion and Forget -me-not, looked nice in the dappled shade, a piece of ground the Strimmer missed.
One of the fox cubs, not a very good picture but you can make it out -just

Another Beautiful Demoiselle sparkled by and alighted to be photographed


4 comments:

Steve said...

another nice picture of the Beautiful Demoiselle....jealous i don't get these on my patch!

Simon said...

Nice photo of the Damoiselle Warren. I bet you couldn't believe it when you come across the Vixen and her cubs.

Warren Baker said...

Steve,
I wonder why they occurr here and not at leybourne? the habitat here doesn't seem to fit what is described in my dragonfly books.

Simon
I don't know who suprised who the most!

John Young said...

Hi Warren, Great enthusiastic blog, like it. Envious that you can see some of this on the way to work!!! Wondered if you'd be interested in linking to my blog http://www.gowildinkent.blogspot.com. Already have a link to you setup.