Tuesday 27 May 2008

Today was another holiday for me (and tomorrow hurah!) and the weather had relented, just a light wind and overcast skies - ideal for birding. I spent 3hrs out, from 07.00, and heard or saw all the migrants that are present on my patch, CHIFFCHAFF, BLACKCAP, GARDEN WARBLER, WILLOW WARBLER, COMMON and LESSER WHITETHROAT, CUCKOO and TURTLE DOVE as well as SWIFT, HOUSE MARTIN. and SWALLOW. Flyovers from 3 gull species, LESSER BLACK BACK, HERRING and BLACK HEADED all went towards an excellent list of 54 species. A later afternoon visit to migrant alley to watch for raptors proved successful, with KESTREL, SPARROWHAWK, BUZZARD (new for the month) and the local PEREGRINE all being seen. The Buzzard was the 6th rapter this month over my patch!
In the garden the first GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER fledgling was seen, but it was off before I could grab my camara!

Herring Gull over Migrant Alley
Another distant photo of the Peregrine (later in the afternoon, a couple of friends got some excellent views of it at its resting site)

Large Red Damselfly at my garden pond


3 comments:

Josh Jenkins Shaw said...

Sounds like a great day! I went for a walk up to some Fields a ile away from my house where me and a friend had great veiws of a singing Cuckoo on top of a dead tree.
Josh

Steve said...

Must be great to have a local Peregrine Warren! I haven't seen one for ages although I guess they must be around here....

Warren Baker said...

Hi,josh & steve,
I hope the peregrine stays around. I know where it spends most of is time, and it could make a possible breeding place, I havn't seen it with a partner yet though.