Saturday 11 October 2008

Dense fog enveloped my patch this morning, and it didn't clear until after 11:00 - not good conditions for finding the birds! Just a measly total of 39 species was recorded, but amongst them was the first TREECREEPER of the month, and better still the first REDWING of the Autumn, what a smart little thrush it is!
A GREY WAGTAIL was feeding on the lilly pads on one of the lakes (the one that now sadly resembles an ornimental pond, after all the work done on it) but the fog was too dense to see any thing else out on the waters. A small flock of LONG TAILED TITS was in the wet woods, one of 3 flocks I found today, all had GREAT, BLUE and GOLDCREST amongst them, and one had a CHIFFCHAFF with it, which sang loudly.
Migrant alley was just a wall of white, but I did see a SPARROWHAWK fly into the gloom, and I heard just 2 LINNET and a single MEADOW PIPIT, but I assumed there were more out there. The last species recorded was a SISKIN, two alighted on some alder trees, adjacent the greenhouses.


Below is the one bright, and cheery thing I saw all morning. A superb Spindle tree laden with berries.



Above and below, are a couple of Long Tailed Tit pics.




4 comments:

Mike said...

LTT's are lovely little birds and always in numbers, nice shot.
When you get a min I need a check on an ID of a Marsh or Willow Tit I have snapped, cheers mate.

Greenie said...

Warren ,
I don't think I've ever seen so many fruits on a Spindle .
Great LTT shots .

Steve said...

Nice pictures Warren...well done with your forst Redwing.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Warren: My they do have long tails, what a great little bird.