Thursday 9 October 2008

No change was noticed at Migrant alley this morning, or when I walked back through from work this afternoon, so after lunch I went straight into the wet woods. A good decision, as I picked up the call of a MARSH TIT, the first since the 22nd of Feb. I tracked down the calls, just to make sure it wasn't a Great Tit mimicking, and was very pleased to find two Marsh Tits! I've never had more than one on my patch. With them was a COAL TIT, and they in turn were associating with a flock of LONG TAILED TITS. I moved on to the lake, but nothing of note happening there, just a few SISKIN around some alders. Eventually I moved on back through the woods and into the tree nursery, where some the tree's were now being taken out, and then onto the stubbles at Migrant Alley. I took my usual seat and watched the LINNETS, MEADOW PIPITS, PIED WAGTAILS and SKYLARKS, a couple of PHEASANT were nearby, and the ROOKS were very flighty, but I couldn't see any raptors, until just before I left when a Male SPARROWHAWK came over, but it was he who got seen off, by a flurry of Wagtails.

Below : The Sparrowhawk, being shown the way into the next parish by a Pied Wagtail.

Below: A very blurred photo of one of the Marsh Tits. It was very dim under the trees, and I didn't want to use the flash. They were feeding on Honey suckle berries, you can make out the pips of the already eaten ones along the branch.

One of the Phesants at Migrant Alley


A Photo from my seat at migrant alley, looking N/E, showing some autumn colour in the trees that form the boundary of the college sports pitch.




2 comments:

Greenie said...

Warren ,
Really like the Sparrowhawk/Pied Wagtail shot .
So it's Pheasants all round today then .

Steve said...

What a cool picture of the sparrowhawk!