Monday 6 October 2008

Not much going on today, apart from the STONECHAT which continues to feed along the hedgerow beside the Maize stubbles. I sat and waited for a sighting of Redwing or maybe a Fieldfare whilst at migrant alley, but none showed. However at least 3 SWALLOWS, and a couple of dozen HOUSE MARTINS all flew south. Just a handfull of MEADOW PIPITS were seen in the stubbles with maybe 30-40 LINNETS. A walk down to the tree nursery was only livened up by seeing the BARN OWL in residence, and a quick look around the lake was only made worthwhile by seeing a male SPARROWHAWK chasing finch's. A single addition to the month's list was a flyover LESSER BLACK BACKED GULL, bringing the total to 51.

A look at the records for the autumn arrival of Redwing and Fieldfare, show the mean arrival date to be the 9th and 20th of October, respectively. The earliest Redwing was on the 4th Oct (2003) and the earliest Fieldfare was on the 10th Oct. (2004) So I should be seeing them any day now!


Below: A GREEN WOODPECKER on one of the fence lines at Migrant Alley

4 comments:

Mike said...

How good is that Warren, this is still a bird that eludes me.

Greenie said...

Warren ,
Have been trying to find the answer to your 'sticky buds' question . I have read several theories , but it seems no one is absolutely certain . So my answer is , I don't know , sorry .
If I'd known you needed a RRP for your year list , you could have had a few dozen from here .

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Warren: Boy, I didn't know woodpeckers came in green, what a neat capture.

Marcus Lawson said...

Hi Warren,
Had a Redwing over the house last night (Paddock Wood), so they're down this way.

See you soon
Marcus