Saturday 13 December 2008

This mornings promised rain and wind arrived, but I went out anyway - well, until I got soaked through and half frozen! I only went over to the lake area, and had a look through the wet woods for a couple of hours. The lake was devoid of birds, probably due to the disturbance by the deranged chainsaw weilding gardener, who has been felling everything in the large garden nearby, he's been particularly active this week.
The wet woods however, held some attraction for me, a party of LONG TAILED TITS some 20 strong, were feeding amongst the leafless trees, with them was a TREECREEPER and at least 5 GOLDCRESTS, I scanned each one, just in case it was really a Firecrest, but no luck today. Just two MALLARD were on the pools in the woods, and 3 MOORHEN. Only 26 species were noted in my two hour walk, but with the weather conditions as they were I was lucky to see that many.
I got home around 09:30, changed into some dry gear, made a hot drink, and settled down to watch the garden feeders, for a couple of hours. I saw just as many species in, around, and over the garden as i had earlier in the woods. 17 species actually visited the garden, and 9 were in the vacinity or flew over. I saw Mallard and Moorhen out on the part flooded fields to the front of my house, and three types of Gull flew over BLACK HEADED, HERRING and LESSER BLACK BACKED. A lone REDWING was seen in one of the large gardens to the rear of mine, as was a GREEN WOODPECKER.
I've put on some pics. of a few of the garden visitors, but given the light, and the fact I took them through a rain splattered window, they are not the most clearest shots!


Below is a Jay. One of 3 that were in together, picking up peanuts from the lawn.
Below is a COLLARED DOVE.
Next a male HOUSE SPARROW, nice to see them returning to the garden, in small numbers at least.



Below is a MAGPIE. A much maligned bird by the less knowledgeable.

Below, a wet and beddraggled STARLING.
lastly, a Male BLACKBIRD. Thats all I can offer today!!







4 comments:

Ken. said...

At least you braved the elements today Warren, that's more than I did. Pics didn't come out too bad,did they? Have a great day on the island tommorrow, if your stil going.

Anonymous said...

Seeing 26 birds isn't too bad in a short amount of time. Sounds like the birding is quite fun in your region. We are not getting too many birds at our feeder at the moment. Tonight, we are receiving our first snow fall of the year.

Anonymous said...

Seeing 26 birds isn't too bad in a short amount of time. Sounds like the birding is quite fun in your region. We are not getting too many birds at our feeder at the moment. Tonight, we are receiving our first snow fall of the year.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Warren: What great photos you got today, they have a special quailty for some reason.