Saturday 22 March 2008

Some of the flock of Fieldfare, Redwing and Starling, at the golfcourse today.The first and last pic taken, thereafter conditions just got worse. Look at the flag pole!


I thought yesterday was a difficult day for birding, but it was much worse today. The wind had gone round to a more N direction, and the rain was blasted into drizzle size drops by the gale. My Camera and bins quickly became unuseable. At the halfway stage of my walk, I gave up for half an hour or so, but I re-armed myself with better winter clothes and headed of out again for a look at migrant alley. it was worth the effort just to see all the FIELDFARE, REDWING and STARLING, they were swarmed all over the fields, I would estimate over a thousand birds were there. I tried to count them but the wind was just too much, and the birds were very flighty. Also on the sheep pasture were 49 BLACK HEADED GULL, I checked each one, trying to make one into a Med. Gull but it wasn't there. However a first for the month was discovered among them, when 3 COMMON GULL dropped in. The odd SKYLARK was seen, as was a MEADOW PIPIT, a few PIED WAGTAIL and a flock of 18 STOCK DOVE. 44 species were noted in all this morning, but in the end, the wind and rain defeated me, and a mug of hot tea became more and more appealing especially so, as the next heavy shower blasted itsway across the fields.

1 comment:

Travis said...

Thanks for linking me. I really l like your blog. Nice work. I will keep checking back. I linked you too.