Thursday 27 March 2008

This afternoons walk around migrant alley was more productive than the last few visits. A migrant WHEATEAR was found on the manured field, the fourth record this year, I scanned the fields this morning on the way to work, but it wasn't there then, so it must of dropped down very recently. There were a few FIELDFARE - 40 or so, both this morning and this afternoon on the same field, but no Redwing were seen. Whilst sitting on one of the horse jumps at the edge of the field, a large shower cloud drifted over, giving some light rain, which moved me on to find cover. This was a bit of good fortune, as I flushed a LITTLE OWL (71) from a fence post, a new species for the year, it flew off into a small copse on the edge of migrant alley. Two SPARROWHAWKS flew over, putting up the Fieldfare, as well as 13 BLACK HEADED GULL, and 11 STOCK DOVES. Half a dozen PIED WAGTAILS fed on the manured field and a SKYLARK sang above them.

The MISTLE THRUSH nesting above my front door may be incubating eggs, I saw it leave the nest as I came in from work.

The Wheatear was a long way off, but you can just make it out
I had to heavily crop and zoom the image.

2 comments:

Simon said...

Good to hear about the Wheatear. Well done with the Little Owl.

Warren Baker said...

Cheers simon,
spring moves a little closer!